For information about everything there is to see and do along the Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway, feel free to stop by one of the great information locations listed below.
Did you know the time zone changes along the byway? For this and other FAQs, click here.
- Caboose near I-80 exit 312 (adjacent to Bosselman’s Truck Stop)
- Convention & Visitors Bureau, 2424 South Locust St.
- Stuhr Museum, Jct Hwy 281 & NE Hwy 2 & 34.
- Co-op Station on south side of the Byway (NE Hwy 2) at Jct Hwy 68 (flashing yellow light)
- Sandhills Journey Scenic Byway Visitors Center, east side of Broken Bow in Big Red Barn, south side of byway
- Chamber of Commerce, northeast corner of Jct NE Hwy 2 and NE Hwy 21.
- Custer County Historical Museum
- Norm’s Sinclair Station, just west of Dunning on north side of NE Hwy 2 near Jct of NE Hwy 91.
- Halsey Frontier Inn, on south side of Hwy in Halsey
- Roadside Inn, just east of Thedford on north side of highway
- Thedford Art Gallery in Thedford, on north side of highway
- Sandhills Motel & Campground, on western edge of Mullen on south side of highway
- Chamber of Commerce, 305 Box Butte Ave
- Knight Museum & Sandhills Center, 908 Yellowstone Ave.
Keep in mind that the byway is 272 miles long and some stretches are in rural areas. This means there are limited services available in some areas and communities.
For example, fuel is not available in Sweetwater, Hazard, Halsey, Seneca, Whitman, Ashby, Bingham, Ellsworth, Lakeside and Antioch. For details on services along the byway, click here.
Mobile phones: In some rural areas, mobile phone service may be limited, depending on the service provider and type of phone.
Credit and debit cards: While accepted and most locations, they are not accepted in all small businesses.
Medical emergency: Hospitals are located in Grand Island, Broken Bow and Alliance. Ambulance and emergency medical service is available along the entire byway.
- Grand Island: KRGI 1430 AM/ 96.5 FM (CF)
- Broken Bow: KCNI 1280 AM / KBBN 95.3 FM (CF)
- Lexington: KRVN 880 AM / 93.1 FM (CF)
- Alliance: KCOW 1400 AM / KPNY 102.1 FM / KAAQ 105.9 FM (CF)
Road information: Nebraska Department of Roads
Nebraska Tourism Information: VisitNebraska.gov
Western Nebraska Tourism Coalition: www.westnebraska.com
Nebraska Forest Service: nfs.unl.edu
Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge: http://www.fws.gov/crescentlake
Valentine National Wildlife Refuge: http://www.fws.gov/valentine
Discover Dawes County: www.discoverdawescounty.com
“Welcome to the High Country of Northwest Nebraska! Nestled between the Black Hills and Badlands of the north, the rugged, Ponderosa covered ridges of the west, and the tranquil sand hills of the Niobrara River area to the south, Dawes County is the scenic treasure of Nebraska.”