|LOCATION||123 North Locust Street|
|CITY||Grand Island, NE|
Named for its proprietor, William L. Yancey, the hotel was begun in April 1917, financed by the Bankers Realty Investment Company of Omaha, Nebraska, for the North American Hotel Company. The company was building a chain of hotels in Nebraska, Iowa, and Kansas towns, accessible to the railroasd depots and business districts. This “chain concept” permitted a standardization of service, bulk purchase of supplies, quanity discounts, and lower costs to the consumer. From its opening in 1923, the Yancey was the ceter of social and political activity for Grand Island. An early twntieth century high-rise structure, the Yancey illustrates the Renaissance Revival style. Due to the develpment of motels, a decline in railroad trade, and the building of shopping malls away from the downtown business district, the hotel closed in December, 1982. The building has been rehabilitated for commercial and residentail use.